The Department of Music at Valdosta State University is a fully accredited member of the National Association of Schools of Music, with a faculty of 32 artist teachers and over 170 music majors and minors. The Department of Music presents over 150 musical performances for the public each year. In addition, several of the major performing ensembles of the department travel throughout Georgia, the Southeast, and abroad, performing for schools, civic groups, and as part of community concert series.
The faculty of the Department of Music are active performers, scholars, conductors, clinicians, and adjudicators throughout the region. The department offers a full range of instrumental and vocal performing ensembles, including the Valdosta Symphony Orchestra. Membership in ensembles is open to all VSU students.
Students graduating from high schools in Alabama, Florida, South Carolina, North Carolina and Tennessee and are eligible for in-state tuition at Valdosta State University.
The Department of Music provides a comprehensive and rigorous academic program consistent with the mission of Valdosta State University and that of the University System of Georgia. The mission of the Department of Music is to:
- Uphold high levels of excellence in instruction, performance, service, and scholarship;
- Provide thorough training in professional programs and the liberal arts that prepares individuals to excel in their chosen fields;
- Offer a diverse selection of music courses and experiences to all University students that will engage them in music and emphasize the vital place of music in our global society;
- Enhance individual achievement by fostering life-long learning, critical thinking skills, ethical practices, and support for and involvement in the arts and arts institutions;
- Serve as a cultural center for South Georgia and provide the community with artistic experiences of lasting value.
DIRECTIONS & LOCATION
The Department of Music is located in the College of Fine Arts at the corner of Brookwood Dr and Oak St in Valdosta, GA. The department office is in Room 2018 on the second floor of the Fine Arts Building.
The Valdosta State University Department of Music is accredited by:
National Association of Schools of Music
11250 Roger Bacon Drive, Suite 21
Reston, Virginia 20190