Your participation, both as student and supervisor, should be a rewarding and pleasant experience. Because, each participant will be called upon to perform a variety of tasks, some of which you will discover as you undertake the application and/or hiring process, this Student Employment Office is intended to help you become familiar with the employment policies and practices of Valdosta State University.
We hope the information on this website is helpful to you and that your experiences as a student employee and employer meets your needs and expectations. We want you to enjoy your joint venture and to derive lasting benefits from it. We believe that the more you learn about the University, your partnership, and its benefits, the greater your satisfaction will be.
WHO QUALIFIES TO BE A STUDENT EMPLOYEE (Student Assistant or Work Study)?
- Students who have accumulative G.P.A. of 2.0
- Students who are attending Valdosta State University (VSU)
- Students who are enrolled for 6 credit hours or more
- Students who are completing VSU degree requirements
WHAT IS WORK STUDY EMPLOYMENT AND HOW BECOME ELIGIBLE?
Federal Work-Study (FWS) is a federally funded grant that allows eligible students to work on a part-time job on campus, or off campus with one of our community services partners
WHERE DO I APPLY AND FIND A JOB?
WHAT ARE THE POLICIES AND PROCEDURES FOR STUDENT ASSISTANTS?
WHEN DO I GET PAID?
AM I GUARANTEED A JOB?
While we have numerous on-campus employment opportunities, jobs are competitive, and you will have to demonstrate to the supervisor that you are the best candidate for the job.
STUDENT EMPLOYMENT (EFFECTIVE AUGUST 1, 2018) (This does not include Grad Assistant positions)
Hiring Departments will now have two options (no-posting and posting) for hiring a student assistance or work study student. You are encouraged to continue to partner with Financial Aid (Leroy Trower ext. 7592 or firstname.lastname@example.org) to identify and support students who are work study eligible.
1. No job posting option - For supervisors who do not need the student job posted or who already have a student you would like to hire; you do not have to advertise the student position through PeopleAdmin.
- The Hiring Department will complete the attached Personnel Action Request Form (PAR) and give it to the student to bring with them to the Office of Human Resources. Please note - HR must receive the PAR form in order to process the student’s paperwork.
- The student will need to bring the PAR form and acceptable identification (https://www.uscis.gov/i-9-central/acceptable-documents) to HR in order to complete the Hire packet and authorization for the electronic background check. No appointment will be necessary.
2. Job posting option - For supervisors who would like to post their student job, the Office of Human Resources has partnered with Career Opportunities to offer you a more user friendly and customizable option using the web-based platform, Purple Briefcase.
- Students are strongly encouraged to schedule an appointment with Career Opportunities before applying for a posted vacancy for cover letter, resume, and interview assistance with on-campus employment. This will help expedite the student employment posting process for the hiring manager and student.
- For more information regarding this platform, please contact Darius Anthony at email@example.com.
- Once the student has been selected, the same PAR process listed above will go into effect.
University Center Bldg III
1205 N. Patterson St
Valdosta, GA 31698
1500 N. Patterson St.
Valdosta, GA 31698
Monday - Thursday
8:00 AM - 5:30 PM
8:00 AM - 3:00 PM